Penrith Lawyers - Phone (02) 4731 5899

FAQ – Aged Care Facilities

Some of the most commonly asked questions about Aged Care Facilities are discussed on this page.

1. What is a Resident Agreement?

The Aged Care Act 1997 requires a Residential Aged Care Facility to offer all residents a Resident Agreement. A Resident Agreement sets out for both the Resident and the Operator of the home, what care and services are expected and will be provided. Agreements are like a Contract between the Resident and the Operator and as such, you should obtain advice about the content of the agreement, prior to signing.

2. How am I assessed for Aged Care?

Residential Aged Care places are funded by the Australian Government to assist with the cost of care and accommodation services to eligible people who can no longer live at home because of the effects of ageing, illness or disability.

Two levels of Residential Care are provided across Australia – High Level Care and Low Level Care. High Level care provides on going 24 hour nursing care, meals, laundry, cleaning and personal care. Low Level Care lets you live independently while receiving assistance with meals and laundry and personal care, and does not include the provision of nursing care.

To be eligible to reside in a approved Aged Care Facility you need to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).  ACAT may comprise a doctor, nurse, social worker or therapist and will provide information on suitable care options and a range of appropriate referrals.

3. What is a Daily Care Fee?

Daily care fees are a contribution towards the cost of your care. Each person in care may be asked to pay a basic daily care fee and depending on your income, you may also be asked to pay an additional income tested fee. You may check the current daily care fee by checking the following website

4. What is an Accommodation Bond?

If your Assets exceed two and a half times the current single basic Aged Pension, when you enter a low level care or an extra service home, you may be asked to pay an Accommodation Bond.

The bond is an amount agreed between you and the Aged Care Facility Operator. There is no fixed amount or formula for determining the bond, but you cannot be charged a bond which would leave you with assets less then two and half times the basic single Aged Pension.

Money raised by Accommodation Bonds is used to improve accommodation and services.

5. What is an Accommodation Charge?

If your Assets exceed two and a half times the single basic Aged Pension when you enter a High Level Aged Care facility, you may be asked to pay an Accommodation Bond.

The maximum Accommodation Charge is capped and calculated on a sliding scale depending on your assets at the time you enter care.

You cannot be asked to pay an Accommodation Charge if you have assets less than two and a half times the single basic Aged Pension at the time that you enter care. You may check the current maximum Accommodation Charge on the following website:

If you would like further information, or require assistance, please contact us on (02) 4731 5899 or send us an email by clicking on the ‘Contact Us’ page on our website.

Download PDF Version:
FAQ Aged Care Facilities

Contact us to see how we can help you