Bateman Battersby Law Bursary
The Bateman Battersby Law Bursary, first offered in 1990, was established to encourage further legal education amongst students attending high schools in the Penrith and Blue Mountains local government areas and to date there have been 30 recipients.
Each year the Bursary is open to students sitting for the Higher School Certificate or International Baccalaureate, who intend applying for admission to a full-time University Law course in NSW or the ACT.
The winner of the Bursary is the student who, of all the applicants, achieves the highest ATAR (HSC, or converted IB mark), and can confirm admission to an approved law course on or before 5.00pm on 14 February 2020.
In the case that more than one applicant shares the highest ATAR, the Bursary is shared. The Winner of the Bursary receives a grant of $1000.00 and a Bateman Battersby Bursary Winner’s Trophy.
Many of the previous Bursary winners have gone on to achieve great success in practising law in a variety of fields, working in high level management positions in both the private and public sectors and teaching law at Universities both in Australia and overseas. These include:
- 1991 winner Paul Salisbury, who also won the University of Sydney Law Medal and has enjoyed a distinguished career with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Dr Wayne Courtney (1993) who has taught Law at both the University of Sydney and the University of Melbourne and is currently Associate Professor of Contract and Commercial Law at the National University of Singapore.
- Melinda Roylett (1997) formerly the head of Small and Medium Business for PayPal in Europe and currently the General Manager UK and Ireland at Uber.
- Dr Kristin Van Zwieten (1999) a UNSW Law Medal winner and currently the Clifford Chance Associate Professor of Law and Finance at the University of Oxford.
- Kieran Colreavy (2003) currently Operational Risk Manager for the Commonwealth Bank in London; and
- Alicia Back (2006) a UTS Law Medal Winner who has worked for global legal firms in both Sydney and London.
Information about the Bursary is distributed to the Legal Studies Teacher of High Schools in the Penrith, St Marys and Blue Mountains region in the second school term of each year. If you have any questions about the Bateman Battersby Law Bursary, please contact our office on (02) 4731 5899 or alternatively by email to email@example.com.
Students interested in pursuing legal education at a tertiary level should speak to their School Principal, Careers Adviser or Legal Studies Teacher for an Application Form or for further information. A Bateman Battersby Law Bursary Application Form can also be downloaded from this page by clicking on the link below. All completed applications must be returned to our office by 5.00pm on 25 October 2019.
- 1990 Catherine O’Toole – Jamison High
- 1991 Paul Salisbury – Katoomba High
- 1992 Leisa Glasscock – McCarthy High
- 1993 Wayne Courtney – Jamison High
- 1994 Fiona Newman – Blue Mountains Grammar
- 1995 Daniel Cunningham – Penrith High
- 1996 Irene Wong – Penrith High
- 1997 Bronwyn Smith – Jamison High and Melinda Roylett – Penrith High
- 1998 Anna Samson – Penrith High
- 1999 Kristin Van Zwieten – St Paul’s Grammar
- 2000 Zoe Spratt – Blue Mountains Grammar
- 2001 Catherine Mann – Penrith High
- 2002 Rebecca Zakarijah – St Mary’s Senior High
- 2003 Kieran Colreavy – Penrith High
- 2004 Louise Rigozzi – St Mary’s Senior High
- 2005 Jessica Pace – Penrith High
- 2006 Alicia Back – Penrith High
- 2007 Wen Fu Lu – St Mary’s Senior High
- 2008 Jacqueline Edwards – St Paul’s Grammar
- 2009 Peter Fam – St Dominic’s College
- 2010 Grace So – Penrith High
- 2011 Thomas Synnott – St Columba’s High School
- 2012 Maya Suzuki– Penrith High
- 2013 Mary-Anne Leonardo – St Mary’s Senior High
- 2014 Justine Amin– Penrith High
- 2015 Natasha Tioukavkin – St Mary’s Senior High
- 2016 Rose Al-Kahili – St Mary’s Senior High
- 2017 Susan Graham – St Paul’s Grammar
- 2018 Piadora Rahme – St Mary’s Senior High